Sunday, March 8, 2015

Above Freezing

The major streets of Woo City are still narrow'd, still encroached upon by uncleared snow mounds, barely acceptable for riding.  The neighborhood side streets are still ice-rutted and many are now studded with emerging pot holes. Occasional cars remain buried in sooty curb side snow tombs.

Chestnut St, Sunday, March 8, 2015

But the temperature rose above freezing today, into the 40s, and it was Sunday and I have been idle since January 22nd, since the onset of a long stretch of relentless Siberianesque snow and cold, and I was keen to ride again. So I did. But with much caution and on a limited route. Woo City's famed St. Patrick's Day parade commandeered Park Ave from 11:00 AM on and generated not only an influx of cars and traffic but also several street closures & detours. In consequence, the ride I'd envisioned - zipping in a loop criterium-style through familiar neighborhood streets - was impossible to do. I had to improvise.

Park Ave

The thing is, the Rasputitsa is a little over a month away and I am unprepared. I have done nothing by way of training since January and I am overweight and out of shape. The thought that I could still train hard enough and achieve a modicum of conditioning suitable to undertake that epic ride without anguish and regret is almost absurd. Who knows when I'll be able to ride again after today (Daylight Savings Time notwithstanding)? A lot of melting will have to take place in a short period of time and I will have to seize every opportunity if I am to have any hope of getting in good enough shape to ride the Rasp. I am not hopeful.

Still, it was nice to get out today, to turn the pedals, to get the heart pumping and the soul vibrating from the revolving wheels.

The wheel is turning and you can't slow down
You can't let go and you can't hold on
You can't go back and you can't stand still
If the thunder don't get you then the lightning will
Won't you try just a little bit harder
Couldn't you try just a little bit more?
Won't you try just a little bit harder
Couldn't you try just a little bit more? *
Of course I could try just a little bit harder, just a little bit more, we all could. But this winter has been punishing, relentless, unmerciful. And I have pitied myself and retreated indoors and practiced righteous gluttony and indolence with abandon. I have spent long hours in hot baths, I have drunk dark Belgian double ales and sluiced hoppy local IPAs, I have conjured wondrous meaty feasts from the freezer larder.

The Way

But maybe now the tide is turning. Maybe Dubstoevsky will once again renounce hedonism in favor of honed purpose. Maybe winter will now recede as quickly as it erupted upon us in late January. Who can tell the future?


Waiting for Fate to sort itself out
Summary: Ride 6, almost 10 miles, 639 feet of elevation gain.

* lyrics from "The Wheel" by the Grateful Dead

1 comment:

  1. And the General kicking the bucket too ... tough winter Dubstoyevsky. Descending into that bathtub, dissolving in the steam, nary to emerge again - would be consolation for many. As are a stack of New Yorkers, loved the one you sent, the magical stool treatment, the search for dope in Tel Aviv (Petra is going over there next week). I can see myself deep down in a tub. Bubble bath preferences? Only the finest organic oils please, and please petchuli! Shades of the Dead! Summer nights at the castle! What a structure, the architectural equivalent of Petchuli! Decades after my fling with a solicitous flower scrodling I continue to search for the true thing. I went into a soap shop on the Cote d'Azur and asked for petchuli. The proprietor smiled and led me to a luminous blue slab. Euro 12 for 100 grams! And the piece he set below my nose didn't smell anywhere near Tumbeloosa Junction. Saint Stephen wherefore art thou? S C R O D.

    ReplyDelete