Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Ride # 50: To the Summit

I Shad and The General
Tuesday afternoon
May 20

Ride # 50 on the year! A milestone. Certainly the earliest in a "season" that I've notched this many rides before. With Jah's blessing and the grace of supernatural trolls, karma, Dharma, and dumb luck I'll manage to keep riding at this pace until the end of the year.

But best not think beyond the next ride. Or, in this case, Tuesday's ride which turned out to be a focused dash for the summit of Wachusett.

At first, leaving as late in the day as I did (5:15), I didn't think I had the time or energy to actually make a cheeky assault on the mountain but as I got a few miles into the ride and felt pretty strong I thought, why not go for it? So I did and felt better and better, stronger and stronger as I went. In fact, for perhaps the first time I actually powered hard up the last third of the mountain, standing up and hammering relentlessly right to the summit. My legs didn't feel heavy or thick or uncooperative. They churned with a strength that usually isn't there on those final 100 yards up to the rocky crest. Allez!


Wachusett Summit looking south toward Worcester

Ride Summary: 27.5 miles (44 K), 14.4 mph, almost two hours total (much of it climbing). 3,050 feet elevation gain. Strava details. Felt thoroughly pumped and strong the whole way.

Road Kill: One garter snake I didn't stop to photograph.

NOTE: Apologies for the rides posted out of sequence (#49 posted before #48), oh well.

2 comments:

  1. Allez! Le Monster conquering the Wachusett! I can really feel you pumping up the mountain. No back, hip, leg issues? Ride on Mysterioso! To honor the General - a gnarly companion if ever there was one - I want one too! Scrodingo

    ReplyDelete
  2. As my mother used to say "be careful what you wish for, you might get it." So it is with The General. I love the gnarly little dude ... but when he eventually passes (he's almost 18 years old) I won't miss the responsibility. Still, easier than a dog.

    And back/hip issues, no! Soreness, yes, but am feeling pretty good. I think I worked out the positioning on the bike. Or maybe I just adjusted physically. Whatever. Only minor, niggling discomfort now, nothing to seriously complain about.

    ReplyDelete