Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Ride # 43: Mt Wachusett and the Summit Road

Tuesday afternoon, 4:00
63 degrees

I wish I could link to the strava.com details of today's ride but apparently I accidentally hit the stop button as I handled the phone putting it in my jersey pocket as I set out so I didn't capture anything. I'd be curious what the elevation would have been because it was another full day of Big Climbing.

My intention had been to ride to the base of Mt. Wachusett to see if the Summit Road was clear of snow yet. When I got there and found out that it WAS clear, that the snow cover from the ski slopes had all melted and that you could now ride to the top, I happily ascended. Best of all, the Summit Rd gates were closed so I didn't have to worry about cars on the road, it was still closed to traffic.

I essentially had the entire road to myself (I passed two hikers going up, and a runner coming down). I felt really good today, strong. Still some nagging lower back discomfort but that seems to become less painful as I warm up and notch a few miles. Plus, I'm more conscientious of position and often shift around and stretch on the fly.

On top, I was alone. That was weird, never experienced it before. Great visibility - Boston and Worcester and mountains off to the north. Just after I snapped the photo below, a hiker strode into view and said hello and wished me a good ride. I wished him a good hike, and was off.

First summit of Wachusett 2014

Spring is hear, despite the chill in the air (note the long sleeved retro wool jersey). At one point, passing a couple reservoirs, I ran through a bloom of small gnat-like insects that smashed against me in clouds and got in my mouth and hair and down my neck.

The road sides and gutters are greening too.

Ride Summary: 27.66 (44 K), 13.2 mph, over two hours.

Road Kill: one small garter snake that I couldn't stop and photograph because it was at the top of the last long climb of the day.

1 comment:

  1. Daring sketch of the insect bloom! Love it! Watchusset is 500 m, right? Your house is at 200? I am off to Berlin this weekend to give a talk at a conference:

    http://www.uni-potsdam.de/zessko/projekt/eap/workshop.html

    Have expanded on Einstein's relativity theory and taken it to the breakthrough that he was hoping for, slight modifications on a quantum mechanics of time and space, should make the Transporter technology envisioned in Star Trek a reality. Also applications in the roadbike area. Scrodstein

    ReplyDelete