Thursday, March 17, 2016

Unprepared for the Unexpected

All day I gazed out the window onto a mild sunny day, biding my time until I could sign out of work and hit the road.

The time came. I donned arm warmers, then debated. Would I need them? Might as well, could always take them off. Long sleeve windbreaker? Nah. Booties? Nope, no need. Skipped the brown paper bag as well.

I'd read of rain in the forecast but understood it to be a late evening event. Striking out from HQs, just underway I saw the first big dramatic clouds of the day looming on the horizon.

A mix of clouds and sun

It's obvious where this is going.

I reached South Rd, the mile long climb to rt. 31. I'd planned to head to Paxton then north on 56 to Causeway Rd. I got to the top of the climb and the intersection with 31 and just as I turned left, the darkening gray sky boomed. Thunder! Foiled.

I abandoned the route and decided to head in the opposite direction; to the northeast where the sky still seemed reasonably bright. So I raced back down South Rd, took a left at the Reservoir, hammered across the half mile or so to Bailey Rd, then up, all on nice new pavement, to Putnam Rd. I stopped briefly to don the European neck warmer and my insulated cap, then raced off again.

But it was no use. With around seven miles to go, the rain came. Lightly at first, then steadily. An icy rain, with occasional solid droplets. Hail? Much of the run back to Woo is downhill and I hurled along with Buddha-like acceptance of the moment.


With the wetness

In the end, I was pretty soaked and decently chilled. Not shivering chilled, thankfully, but cold enough. Wet feet (booties!).

But I did get in 16+ miles today. That's good because "Crusher" Mawgs has taken a keen interest in Team Shad and the run-up to the Rasputitsa. He demanded I ride a minimum of 63 miles a week between now and race day. That's doable, if the weather cooperates. I'm reading ominous reports of a potential nor'easter this coming Sunday afternoon (late day, I hope). The first day of spring. Possibly 13 inches of snow. Classic New England. Fucknatty!

But as for reaching the Boar 63 threshold this week, not a problem given the 16 today. Assuming the storm smashes in late Sunday afternoon, the Virginian and I will ride in the morning and early afternoon so should get between 35-45. Saturday is supposed to be cool, clear & sunny so I could easily go for 30.

Numerological Note: 6+3=9 /3 = 3; likewise, 6-3=3; 9 = 3|3|3

Ah, but if only the whole ride today could have been under a sky like this:

Before the storm, St. Patty's Day 2016
Woo City



No comments:

Post a Comment