Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Back in the Saddle

72 hours after being unable to use my right shoulder for much of anything, everything has changed. In my mind, the toothpasty calcium has broken up and dispersed and is no longer irritating the tendon. Maybe the 150 MGs a day of Diclofenac Sodium has helped that process, maybe not. It's hard to know without another x-ray. But I can lift my right arm now almost pain free. The range of motion is better than it's been in months. Bizarre.

Nevertheless, I started physical therapy today, an effort designed to re-open my shoulders & chest and loosen up some of the tighter muscles like the pecs which, taut as piano wire, are constantly pulling the shoulders inward. This will be an ongoing effort and Team Shad's medical staff has been directed to hire a full time masseuse to attend to Dubstoevsky's condition.

The good news is that I was well enough to get back in the saddle. Despite a ferociously gusty day, and despite the lure of a hot bath, sparkling mineral water imbued with lemon, and a good book, I made a late afternoon decision to ride, to put some miles under the tires, to loosen up the legs. And was glad I did.

I managed a 17+ mile super windy Reservoir Loop (including the South Rd climb). My Strava feed shows 16+ miles because I forget to push start until I'd ridden a little more than a mile.

Ended the ride with the climb to Bancroft Tower.

Bancroft Tower, March 29, 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment