Thursday, October 29, 2015

Transitions

I took twelve days off, not necessarily by choice but by circumstance. Among other things, I had this to deal with:

Supposed to be two cords; whether it was or not, it was a lot to put away

Hauling and storing this winter's firewood took the better part of a weekend.

But I finally got back on the bike and had a terrific late afternoon ride on Tuesday the 27th. We are at the tail end of fall foliage but there was still ample color to enjoy while cruising through the neighborhoods.

Dubstoevsky in yellow

Not just in the neighborhoods. Zooming along the reservoir offered awesome views of the autumn sublime.

Holden Reservoir, October 27, 2015

Zoomed in

The good news from the reservoir is that the bridge that is being worked on can now be crossed by bicycles. Cars still have to detour up South Rd but a cyclist can now choose to go around the head of the reservoir right to Bailey Rd or onward to the top of Reservoir Drive.

Because I enjoy the South Rd climb so much, I did the climb, then turned around and sped back to the reservoir where I encountered two cyclists heading across the bridge. I followed them and made a decent effort to catch them, but failed. Later, Strava flyby details showed them to be Mike Myers and Erik Olson from Worcester. These lads evidently ride a lot more than I do and it's no surprise I was unable to reel them in. Turns out they are denizens of Woo City.

Fellow Strava lads from Woo City

They ended up heading further into Holden while I peeled off onto Bailey Rd and turned my wheels back toward the Woo. I took in Bancroft Tower before returning to Team Shad HQs.


Autumn Tower October 27, 2015

Daylight's saving time kicks in this coming weekend so it's likely that my weekday afternoon rides are numbered. As the Mighty Scrod in Frankfurt has already gotten off his bike for the season and is now focusing on stretching and yoga, I may be forced to follow his example.



No comments:

Post a Comment