Sunday, October 4, 2015

Add Hawk

I was almost taken out by a hawk. I have no picture of the incident because it all happened very quickly.

At around the eighteen mile mark of what ended up a 22 mile ride, I was cruising along in a meditative, eyes-ahead state of relaxed tunnel vision on a recently paved road when, out of the corner of my eye I saw movement. My immediate interpretation of the motion was "newspaper blowing in gusty wind."

It was a gusty day after all, a blustery sun & cloud afternoon, a classic Sunday in early October New England.

But it wasn't a newspaper.

The moment unfolded rapidly. From the instant I noticed the movement, to the synapse firing in my brain that immediately tried to decipher the movement, to the point at which I actually realized what was happening and responded, was nearly instantaneous.

The newspaper was actually a hawk on the sidewalk (later I supposed it had made a play for a local squirrel or perhaps a house sparrow, flocks of which cavort in the hedges and the lot edges of neighborhoods all over Woo City). It was trying to take off, and the movement I saw as I was nearly abreast of it was it hopping & flapping to get some lift-off. By the point at which I realized with crystal clarity what was really happening, I had already instinctively reacted and ducked.

The hawk lofted into flight with a mighty lunge and barely missed my hunched shoulder as I raced past. Less than a second of reaction time separated cyclist-knocked-to-pavement-by-raptor and
holy-shit-near-collision-with-hawk. We both got away with our dignity.

Parting Shot

Kendall Reservoir, Holden, MA
October 4, 2015


5 comments:

  1. Holy crumb Shadman! Near collision with bird of prey! Grateful that you are whole - I imagine big feathery thing clunking me on the side of my head would send me to the pavement, though I don'T think they're all that heavy. In fact in the sauna at the fitness studio on Tuesday afternoon I was sitting their dripping sweat and meditating and looking out the panorama window. The studio is up on top of a bluff. The view from the window is over treetops and off across the anonymous descants of non-urban Frankfurt: wooded slope, football field, highway, football field, wooded slope, apartment buildings, highway, windmills, clouds, crows, pidgeons ... and a hawk! perched atop a tree, drying its wings. I watched that thing for about 5 minutes. Seaeagle alias S C R o D

    ReplyDelete
  2. A red kite weighs maybe 2 pounds full-grown. Not too much, still enough to get me nervous. Males are smaller than females. Interestingly the deep-sea angler fish male is a dwarf that lives on the much larger female. saves effort in thinly populated trenches. Of course the male scrod is enormous. S.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed. The male scrod is enormous. A trophy fish. And deft in the water, like a shark, but a vegan one.

      Delete
  3. The vegan scrod!! I be flooded with boozy ideas of the tale of the vegan scrod cum hawker of lame excuses and verbal trail balloons. To which I can add: my use of "descants" was worth 3 points! Accodding to reliable online authorities, a "descant" is a line of melody accompanying some other line of music, usually medieval in contrivance. "The anonymous descants of Frankfurt"! That works Dubstoyevsky. I be up by 1 and the clock is running down. SCROD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You mad finning scaled monster! "Descant" is, indeed, a righteous vocab word. What, do you teach English or something? You are a polymath, of this I have no doubt. You can wax poetic on the Bundesliga (sp?) and transition straight into Patti Smith and possibly the Hapsburgs. I tip my dorsal to you!

      Delete