Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Three Beautiful Days, But a Grim Discovery on Halloween

These days are not supposed to be this nice - mid 60s, sunny, clear. The last vestiges of bright foliage have been bathed in rich, late afternoon sun day in and day out. Terrific rides, albeit now becoming abbreviated, certainly the midweek afternoon rides; last weekend brought the end of Daylight Savings time.

Thursday the 29th, Almost 70 Degrees

Reservoir Road

The view from the repaired bridge on Reservoir Rd

Climbing up South Rd

Back in the Woo

Return of Dubstoevsky

Halloween Day, and the Grim Discovery

Halloween Saturday was bright and clear, also warm, I headed out for a brisk Reservoir Loop. All was fine and irie as I made my way out of the neighborhood environs.

Pleasant St, Halloween 2015
I sped through Tatnuck to Olean St and, feeling good, kept a steady pace on the run up to, and then around, Holden Reservoir. Then I came upon a macabre scene, a pheasant massacre. A pile of ring-necked pheasants dumped in the pine needles along the side of the road.

Massacre of the innocent

The work of some moron hunter, no doubt. It made me sad to see such waste. My father hunted and I grew up eating roast pheasant (wrapped in bacon!). We ate everything he shot - pheasant, woodcock, grouse, rabbits. So seeing this atrocity saddened me greatly.

I rode on and then not much later came across another wretched death scene, this one no doubt the work of automobiles.


Grim road kill site

Tuesday, November 3

The sun sets now at 4:29 pm so the window of riding opportunity is narrow for post-work riding. Nevertheless, I was able to get away in time this afternoon and managed another Reservoir run, this one thankfully devoid of discarded carcasses. Another warm day, again almost 70 degrees.

Shadman and the Golden Shadows


No comments:

Post a Comment