Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Ride # 62: Hot and Humid to the Top

Tuesday, June 17
Westminster

Hot and humid. Late afternoon, the sun is lower but riding west I ride directly into it. I relish it, though I begin sweating very soon after setting out. Today is about heading for the summit via the Westminster side. That means Mile Hill, a climb that equals its name, steady and fairly steep and it goes on for a long time.

Feel outstanding today. Get out of the saddle and hammer up at about 8 mph, and sustain that for the entire climb. Then the actual mountain side climb commences and I keep feeling strong. Get to the the Wachusett Summit Sprint, the final .2 miles of the climb, 9% grade, and set a personal best time of 1.04 minutes. Thigh churning power without fatigue.


Westminster/Princeton Line
and the onset of Mile Hill

Despite making my ascent via the Westminster approach, a route that adds a couple extra miles overall to the ride (and that skips including the nearly-washed-away Pine Hill Rd.), I still make the summit in 1 hour and 11 minutes. From home, that is, some 13 miles distant. I don't linger at the top.

Ride Summary: 28.3 miles (48 K), 14.9 mph, 2830 ft elevation, just under 2 hours. I'm happy with that time on a hilly ride like this one. My strava stats show lots of interesting segment times.

Road Kill: Numerous chipmunks, and a bunny.


Sad Bunny

No comments:

Post a Comment