Monday, June 16, 2014

Ride # 61: A Week Later; Part III: Last Thoughts on the Tour de Heifer

The General's blessing at the outset of ride # 61
Sunday morning, June 15


The Tour de Heifer was a week ago today and I haven't ridden since then. Interestingly, my weight went up a half pound or so following the pounding of the heifer, and then over the course of the (non-riding) week it dropped two pounds. Without trying, I went under 144 lbs for the first time since ... a long time ago. The point being that I'm confounded and psyched at once. Despite ice cream, beer, and sea salt caramel chocolates. 144.5 three days in a row. As if my body came up shocked in the wake of the Tour de Heifer and after a couple days of recovery took stock, regrouped, and decided to cinch up a little tighter. Inhaled. Decided to settle at a lower-than-usual weight. Under 145 lbs is gravy, the Lack of Heft.

I digress.

Today was the perfect weather on the perfect June Sunday. I was completely pumped riding. Which is interesting because as this last week went along and I didn't ride my back and hips became progressively sore, the proverbial 'tightening up,' and I wasn't all that comfortable. Yet in no time after setting out I began to feel really good. I took pains to shift around on the bike, stretching my back and my legs, gulping huge breaths from the largess of the planet, imagining myself a low weight insect husk with sinewy muscle astride aluminum geometry. A flesh concept hurtling along on tangible circles.

But let's finish off The Heifer. Last images and impressions.

A challenging ride! Not one you want to undertake if you're not pretty fit already. The relentless climbing was to my advantage and to my liking. It's amazing to feel light on the bike and not get thrashed by the hills.


The Virginian taking his ease

Forward

Dubstoevsky
Photo by The Virginian

Tour de Heifer summary: 66.88 miles (106 K), 12.4 mph, about 5 hours. Road kill included five or six chipmunks.

Ride # 61: Sunday, June 15, 2014

A real pleasure to get back in the saddle, to stretch tightened muscles after a week of not-riding, to SOAR (inasmuch as one can soar while anchored to pavement by two rubber wheels, and gravity). Felt great getting out of the saddle, was able to get into a rhythmic pedal turning meditation, an ease, a dancing almost, no weariness go UP. Except today the ride was rolling and involved only moderate climbing. Strava stats indicate 1700 feet of climbing.

Regardless, the day was utterly stellar - low 70s, brilliant sun and blue skies, soft breeze, the epitome of classic New England June weather. Wafts of sweet air perfumed with the scent of flowering trees, shrubs, plants. Sun-dappled roadways.

I saved another turtle. This time a small, timid fellow, a painted turtle with little drive.


Mr. Docility

In a better place

This is how the ride goes on an ordinary ex-urbia Sunday morning when the weather is perfect and the only thing you have to do is pedal.

Snapshots from the meander.

The running of the bulls

With the Niceness

Arrow of Jah

Ride Summary: 30.35 miles (48 K), 14.9, 2 hours+2.

Tour de Heifer Part I
Tour de Heifer Part II



No comments:

Post a Comment