Sunday, August 20, 2017

D2R2 2017: The Redemption of Shad, Part III

East Rd in Hawley is like a fear benchmark. Anyone doing the 160K, if asked about their biggest concern, would probably cite East Rd as paramount, particularly coming, as it does, after lunch and at mile 66 (or thereabouts). Only the most extreme look forward to it and even they treat it with respect.

I was looking forward to it. While Wing Nut does this climb a couple times a year (because he lives not far away), I, Dubstoevsky, have less opportunity to test myself on this four mile category 4 climb. I was eager to have a go at it again this year and replace the memory of last year's mechanical collapse with a more positive memory, one in which I climb like Alberto Contador straight to the top (passing numerous faltering rabbits along the way).

So how'd it go?

I felt good after lunch, not overly stuffed, almost rested. I was ready for Part II. We rolled along at a nice pace, a lot of it fast downhill as we raced toward the valley. While there were hills and descents prior to East Hill, everyone's thoughts were surely on the much-heralded "last major climb of the day."


Turning onto the East Rd climb
We hit the Valley floor and pulled over for a meditation break alongside the Deerfield River, a moment of gathering ourselves for the climb ahead. Focus seemed important. A mental reckoning. A quick look into the suitcase of courage to check for clean knickers. Then, East Rd.

There is no "I" in Team and I guess that translates as "Don't count on others when you have to count on yourself."

Naturally enough, I found myself alone on the climb. Wing Nut, ever in a zone of his own, simply rode away from me. Nothing demonstrative or aggressive, he just locked into a cranking rhythm and went forward, oblivious to what fell behind. There would be no Go Pro footage of Dubstoevksy dancing on the pedals this year.

But I didn't care. Climbing East Rd is not about how well you do against others (though I confess to feeling smug and pleased with myself about the fabled "Triumph on East Rd" from 2013), but about how well you do against yourself. The whole of the D2R2 is about personal fortitude, not about measuring yourself against external forces.

No matter how much experience you have on this climb, it still surprises. I recognized several spots where I hung out last year after my mechanical, but I didn't remember many sections of the total climb; didn't remember the intensity of the grade at points (12%+); didn't recall how fucking long it takes to get to the top. This latter point is important because what it means is that on several occasions I would round a corner or achieve what appeared to be an apex, only to be presented with more of the same - a steep, winding, gravel roadway UP.


Are you steady? Can you do this?
You question yourself at points. Especially when your Garmin tracking device goes into Auto-Pause mode because you are moving so slowly it thinks you've stopped. This was marginally demoralizing, though the remedy was simply to keep going, keep turning the cogs: "and every time that wheel turns 'round, bound to cover just a little more ground."

Mantras can help. "... bound to cover just a little more ground." Indeed.

And in these moments, you look inside yourself. You check in with yourself and ask yourself - 'Are you steady? Can you do this?'

The answer for me was Yes. Alone up East Rd in quiet; not a car passed during the 30 some minutes I toiled upward, there were no riders visible behind, and Wing Nut had disappeared up ahead not long after we started up. Just me and Dubstoevsky pedaling through the sun-dappled, bird-chirpy forest on a tightly-packed dirt road. 

Unfortunately, I started to cramp. The inside thighs (both legs) and the right arm triceps. The triceps cramping had been going on for a while and I'd been conscious of trying to grasp the handlebars differently and relieve some of the strain. That had worked in the rolling terrain but here in the meat of the climb letting go of the handlebars was not an option and it was proving to be a problem. 

I mitigated the inner thigh cramping by alternately standing up and sitting down (which also helped the triceps). Doing so redistributed the demand on the various muscle groups, including the arms, wrists, and shoulders. Up and out of the saddle for as long as I could turn the pedals and keep upright on extended arms; and back into the saddle when the arms and shoulders couldn't take it anymore and the thighs seemed like they could reclaim some power, if only briefly. 

It went on like this for a long time.

Several times I thought I was rounding the last curving stretch of steepness only to reach the apex, turn the corner, and be confronted with more of the steep same. 

Finally, light ahead, a cascading of sunlight that indicated an opening in the canopy (most of East Rd is forested hillside and well-shaded). I sensed the top. And it was true. I'd made it! I'd avenged the great fail of last year and topped East Rd without having to get off the bike.

D2R2 2017: The Redemption of Shad, Part IV

No comments:

Post a Comment