Sunday, August 20, 2017

D2R2 2017: The Redemption of Shad, Part II

You can be as confident as you like but you still have to ride the course. And even though in my mind the 160K is a familiar and friendly route, the truth is that it still comprises more than 9,000 ft of climbing, has nine category 4 climbs, two category 3 climbs, one category 2 climb (Beast-Forget Field aka East Rd), and covers 95 miles. This is no minor undertaking.

But confidence helps. You have to believe that you are up for the task, regardless of the length of the ride. Driving at speed across the state at 6:00 AM as daylight gradually overcame the darkness, I felt confident and ready for the day.

The D2R2 is a well-organized event and parking & registering is a breeze. Within minutes of arrival, I've located Wing Nut, checked-in, got my number and timing chip, and am gearing up. It's going to be hot, no need to don the sleeve warmers or the windbreaker vest I brought in case of a chilly morning - just slather on the sunscreen and get going.


View from So. County Rd
The 160K starts with almost 12 miles of pavement - ride up to Greenfield then meander northward on a bike path and the more pavement until So. County Rd, a short ribbon of dirt road that marks the first dirt of the day. Everyone is happy to get off the main roads and into the back country .... and back country is where we remain for much of the rest of the ride.

The day is exquisite. Again. Every D2R2 I've ridden has been pretty nice, though last year it was really hot. It's hot this year too but there's a cooling breeze and it's plenty comfortable in shade. And given the small roads and forest paths on today's ride, there'll be ample shade throughout the day.

We ride along separately, Wing Nut generally keeping ahead of me by 50 to 100 yards. I take to calling him "Mr. 100 Yards" in my head; for whatever reason, he seems incapable of riding together. In fact, late in the ride this becomes a little bit of a sore point for me as Nut insists on passing groups of riders we encounter, regardless of whether I'm capable of passing them too; I end up trailing far in arrears, out of sight of my teammate for long stretches of time.

But this is all par for the course. Wing Nut is a solitary assassin and perhaps he needs the solo show of power as a means of shoring up his own sense of invulnerability.


At least an editor caught it
The 160K is known for having much of the hardest climbing happen before lunch. This is a good thing psychologically. As it works out, I had misread the cue sheet and was expecting lunch to be at the 62 mile marker, deep into the day. So I am taken by surprise when, at mile 49 or so, we roll up to the Amos Brown house right on the border of Mass and Vt, and it's the lunch stop!

I remember lunch last year, also, as it happened, at this same stop. Then there were riders strewn all over the grass, prone bodies, stunned countenances, shattered psyches. They had all just endured the first half of the Mystery Ride and some were, as I was, wondering how they would get through the rest of the day.

Totally depleted and desperate to recover, I ate way too much, including way too much sugar - I had a Coke, cookies, maybe M&Ms, a sandwich, chips. After lunch, I'd felt like crap and eventually it was hard for me to keep eating or drinking anything; I was nauseous most of the post-lunch ride.

This year is a different story. I eschew all sugary drinks and food; I didn't use any sports drink powder at the rest stop earlier, never ate the M&Ms I grabbed, didn't drink soda at lunch. The result was that my stomach felt mostly fine all day. A couple times I chugged enough water to make me feel bloated and uncomfortable but those feelings quickly passed.

However, one affliction plagued me much of the ride: Fire Nipple. Sometimes known as Nipple Burn, this occurs when you sweat copiously and your jersey becomes soaked, as do the straps of your cycling bib shorts. The result is alternately chilled & heated, overly-salted nipples rubbing up against the salted, wet synthetic fabric of jersey and bib straps. Unpleasant. But better than cramping. 

Somewhere in the woods before lunch

Speaking of which, earlier in the week I re-read past Shad Rides postings about earlier D2R2s and one thing that is consistently noted are incidents of cramping. For me, it had always been WHEN I would start cramping, not IF. So I am astonished when I arrive at the lunch stop, nearly 50 miles in, having not experienced any cramping at all. The year I did the 180K (2014), I remember cramping up early on, maybe at the 40 mile mark on some horrendous gravel climb, and thinking "am I going to be able to finish?"

That was also the year I learned that you can actually ride through cramps; that you can acknowledge them, honor their pain, then incorporate them into your rhythm. Having to do so just sucks, that's all. So I was quite aware that after 50 miles of riding, after the first half of the ride was done, I hadn't cramped at all.

Of course, that wouldn't remain the case during the second half. 

Lunch is a mixed blessing, really. You're ecstatic to arrive there, are overjoyed at the prospect of a ham sandwich and a bag of chips, and eagerly plop down in the grass and relax tired muscles. It can get positively drowsy sitting there in the grassy shade, and Oreo cookies can seem like the obvious next step in the re-fueling process. But eventually, reality sets in and you realize that despite how comfortable you are, you have to get up, repack all your shit, remount your bike, and get on with it.

We don't linger at lunch. I limit myself to a sandwich and a bag of chips. Refill the water bottles. Stretch my legs a bit in the grass. Then it's back to it. 45 miles to go, only one major climb, the fabled East Rd in Hawley, site of previous triumph and previous despair.

D2R2 2017: The Redemption of Shad, Part III

No comments:

Post a Comment