Saturday, January 30, 2016

El Nino

If indeed we have El Nino to thank for this winter's benign weather, than I bow low and doff my helmet to the great phenomenon. Last year at this time, Snowmageddon had set in with ferocity, burying the Woo in what became record amounts of snow. This year? Well, today, January 30, the temperature climbed into the 40s, the sun shone, small patches of vestigial snow from last weekend's dusting continued to melt, and the roads were clear and dry.

It being Saturday, and the weather cooperating so nicely, I had little choice but to duck out for a morning ride. A road bike ride, no less. Oddly, my last ride a week ago on the Crux Elite ended with me pulling into Shad HQ and hearing an odd clicky sound from my rear wheel. Dismounting, I peered at the wheel and sure enough there it was, a snapped spoke. Must have happened in the last block. So that bike is now in the shop getting repaired (and getting a new chain and handlebar wrapping). So road bike it was.

A Reservoir run, not a loop but a straight shot out and then up South Rd to get some climbing in, then back down, though descending carefully, very carefully. It was above freezing and the roads basically dry and not even that sandy but some damp-looking spots suggested possible ice so I took no chances, slowing down accordingly and attending to the bike handling like a jeweler cutting diamonds.

There was no danger. The ride was terrific. And despite only sporadic riding over the last two months, I continue to feel strong and comfortable when I'm out there. The goal, of course, is to maintain some modicum of conditioning so that the Rasputitsa won't be a total sufferfest. The weather and the course conditions I have no control over, but I can work on my state of physical preparedness between now and then. Here's hoping El Nino's charm keeps pampering the northeast.

Reservoir Vistas

Lower Reservoir

Upper Reservoir approach

Upper Reservoir



No comments:

Post a Comment