Sunday, August 2, 2015

Developments

Tour de France, July 2015

What a week, and then some. Travels to the south Jersey shore, the end of the Tour de France, a major restructuring of the Allez Comp's drive train, and the arrival of the Bib. In Cape May, NJ I rode a single speed fat tire beach cruiser about six miles round trip to Cape May Lighthouse State Park but I neglected to activate my Strava connection so have no chart of that unusual ride.

More importantly, three giant developments have occurred since last we checked in with Dubstoevsky.

First, a new crank set and drive train. Much research into the pros and cons of a 50/34 set-up, a compact, vs the typical racing set of 53/39. Having had trouble with my crank's compression nut for a while and being unable to adjust it to satisfaction, throw in the need of a new chain and a replacement of the considerably worn chain rings, and it seemed a no brainer. I went with the compact. Six days in the shop while I was at the Jersey shore. Return to a whole new drive train world. More on this in a subsequent post.

Second, the arrival of The Bib. Why I have ridden all these years and never worn one is beyond me. This changes the game, comfort-wise.

Yesterday being a case in point. A hot day and long in the saddle, over 50 miles and lots of climbing. The Bib alleviated the midriff bunching & pressing that comes with regular biking shorts. The Bib doesn't put pressure on your bladder, but it does, corset-like, keep your belly tucked and your form tight.

Saturday, out by 9:00, another hot and dry weekend, though setting out I encounter more clouds than were predicted. The first hour proves to be under puffy gray overhang. Eventually, the day rises into being and the sun takes over the sky, the cloud cover dissipates and the full heat of the 90+ degree pulses.

My goal? The Wachusett summit. Via the Worcester Airport and Paxton & Rutland. A category 4 and a cat 3 climb on today's route. The entire ride, though taken on many 'main' roads, proves to be traffic-free, a real long pedal and grind through extraordinary New England landscapes, including, when all was said and done, over 4,000 feet of climbing. Allez!


Mt. Wachusett Summit, August 1, 2015

Sterling Airport, August 1st, 2015

It was a great ride, though arduous. A piping hot day. This time I rode in the correct direction, starting out in the morning and riding northwest so that the sun was behind me, and when I returned near noon, though the sun was above me it was also slanted slightly from behind, so the sun wasn't in my face. The last time I did a similar version of this ride, leaving the same time (roughly 9:00 AM), I went in reverse and rode into the sun the entire way, going and coming.


Sterling, Ma


But I digress.

Despite a stellar ride yesterday and a real excitement about the new drive train - climbing was incredible, considerably easier - I come now to the third development.

This afternoon, eager to set out once more and further put to the test my new drive train, I discovered a loose spoke in my rear wheel. It being Sunday, I wasn't sanguine about finding a bike shop open that could help me. But I did.

Unfortunately, the 'one loose spoke' revealed a greater problem - two evident cracks in the rim. And just like that, today's ride was cancelled and now I'm looking at another week or so to get a new set of wheels and get back in action.

Maybe it's a blessing in disguise. I have been suffering from 'tennis elbow' (in my case 'biking and driving elbow') and another week's rest might be beneficial. Given how good I felt on the 50+ miler on Saturday after a week's lay off, I don't worry about jumping back into the thick of it after a lay off. Plus, new wheels. That might be exciting.

The Recovery Elixir


Juice it up after a big ride

Strawberry, peach, carrot, apple, beat

With the Niceness!




1 comment:

  1. Putting on mileage Dubstoyevsky - allez! Oh metamorphing veloist: a new crank! a new set of riding togs, soon a new wheel! Cool that you discovered the cracks before the wheel collapsed while you were going around a corner. My bike has compact Campi Chorus. I guess it's good, but I run out pretty quickly on fast descents, i.e. get little increase in speed from pedaling above let's say 45 kmh. Probably above 55 its useless. I love the bib, don't wear anything else. Bought a new Gore bib a couple weeks ago. First outing with it I wore a pair of cotton undies and got sores within an hour. I had typically worn plastic undies, you know something made out of a cotton-like synthetic, and had never had problems. I told Meister M. about the sores and he said: no undies, don't wear undies of any kind. I ride undie free and it feels good in the bib but I have to occasionally make adjustments in the comfort zone. Your fellow Veloist, SCRODMAN

    ReplyDelete