Sunday, August 10, 2014

Ride # 66: To the Mountain

Heading for the hills
Lemonstar
August 9, 2014

The lure of the mountain is strong in the Princeton Hills. It pulls you toward it, even when you're telling yourself "not today." Yes, today.

Ride three since resuming riding. This was hard. Unlike June 19 when I returned from the 40 miler full of energy and not much affected, today's ride whupped me. Thoroughly knackered. Sore everywhere. Stiff-moving. Beat. Only 27 miles. And the D2R2 in two weeks is 180K (try 100+ miles). Hard to see how I'll be ready.

I did manage to catch, pass, and drop a rider heading up the summit road. That felt good even though we weren't competing and I didn't dig extra deep to do it, it just occurred in the flow of the pace I'd set for myself.


Dubstoevsky back on the summit

About 15 minutes into the ride with pain already developing in my knee and back I decided to try adjusting my seat so I stopped and raised it a fraction. For sometime now I've been unable to use my calves and the better part of my quads in my pedal stroke. Consequently, I aggravated other muscles/tendons by being badly positioned. That's my latest reasoning. So I lifted my seat a tad and felt a difference immediately. Suddenly my calves and quads were back in the pedal stroke and, though over the rest of the ride other groin/lower right glute areas became somewhat sore and aggravated, it seemed to take the strain off of the patella tendons. My knee felt fine the rest of the ride.

And finally, breaking news! Pine Hill Rd has been paved!


Pine Hill Rd., newly paved


Ride Details: 27 miles, 13 mph, a spittle over two hours. Strava stats. Definitely hard today. Sapped by the end.


No comments:

Post a Comment