Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Ride # 21: Run Off

March 11, 2014, about 3:30 PM

The Big Melting. Bright sun, warm, almost 60 degrees. The trouble was deciding how to dress. I'm so used to donning layers and multiple head coverings and chunky thick gloves that today I struggled with what NOT to wear. In the end, I probably overdressed but not by much. I wore the thick zip-up neon lime-colored top as usual but just a short sleeve bike jersey beneath. Nevertheless, my arms sweated.

The more obvious ramification of the warm weather was the ubiquitous run off from the melting snowbanks. Many, many roads had long stretches of running water, unavoidable stretches. Cars would come and there'd be no choice but to ride through it and absorb the splashing. The plastic grocery bag between my tights and my shorts was effective for a while in preventing a wet butt but eventually the bag got all squished up and out of place and my butt got wet anyway.

Still, it was a big day. Loved the warmth. Amazing! To think, eventually I'll be riding in shorts and short-sleeved jersey. Today was a hint at that eventuality.

Another wasp nest. At the edge of a field that used to be a part of Mulpus Farm. I used to pick beans on this farm in the summer time back when I was ten. The farm has long since been broken up, subdivided, houses built on it. Now wasps inhabit its trees. But I guess they always did.


Wasp Nest on Mulpus Farm


Beehive but don't behave


At one point today, a gaggle of turkeys and I crossed paths, easily 25 birds. Impressive! I pulled out the camera and, while staying upright and circling around and only half way paying attention to potential oncoming cars, I snapped a few pictures. Later on, reflecting on my actions, I realized that in the desire to get a photograph to post on Shad Rides, I sacrificed the moment. Instead of observing these incredible beasts, of pausing and watching and appreciating their size, their power, their interesting social grouping, I fussed with a camera and struggled to take photographs. Oh well.

In the end, I managed 30+ miles and felt strong the whole way.

Remnants of a gaggle of turkeys

Ride Stats:  33.29 miles (53k), 14.7 mph, two+ hours astride the Specialized. Warm! In the 50s when I left and when I returned. No roadkill, except one of the turkeys almost got hit by a truck. It did not. Today's ride brought me through Lunenburg, Shirley, Groton, Devens, and Lemonstar. The rolling lowlands.

1 comment:

  1. shadman, I weighed in at 188.5 pounds this morning, 40 more than you?!? You're an inspiration! And be careful on the cold wet roads. SCROD

    ReplyDelete