Thursday, January 16, 2014

Rasputitsa

From the good people in the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont who brought us the Dirty 40, we can now look forward to the 1st ever Rasputitsa. Huh? Sounds vaguely salacious.

Turns out that Rasputitsa, in Russian, means "mud season when roads become difficult to traverse." Or so the web page says. Turns out that's essentially correct. Gnarly, dude! Indeed. Covering some of "Vermont's coldest and barren landscapes" this inaugural race covers 47 miles, 31 of which are described as being on "gravel." Or more likely on mud and ice and potholes and frost heaves.

So now I have a training goal ala Ventoux Calls. I have essentially three months to develop some race conditioning. My weight is good right now but I'll need to build strength and endurance. That may prove challenging given the time of year, but InI must try.

"Remember, the Lanterne Rouge Goes to the Gulag"

1 comment:

  1. SUFFER! To the Gulag should you not! Shadisto! Mighty I n I!! I'm in your corner with the water bottle and the clean towels and the razor. Go Go Go!! Or I'm the rabid Italian guy with the mad shock of black curls and aviator shades who is runnning next to you through the gauntlet of cheering spectators screaming louder than the crowd AVANTI AVANTI AVANTI!!! at the top of the Passeo Inferno to victory, the final leg of the GIRO - avanti avanti avanti!!! SCROD

    ReplyDelete