Saturday, January 4, 2014

A New Year, 2014

Reykjavik, Iceland, January 1st, 2014

The Icelandic people eat a lot of fish. Their economy is based on fish, the salmon is the best to be had anywhere in the world. Being a self-described shad I feel a kinship with the Icelanders. In fact, so much do I love Iceland that ND and I opted to spend the New Year's holiday there, in room 403 of the Hotel Odinsve in Reykjavik.

Iceland does not have a huge bike culture, at least not as I've been able to ascertain on the strength of two short visits, one in July 2011, and just now in December/January 2013/2014. During the summer trip two years ago, we did see a few distance cyclists, mostly mountain bikes loaded down with panniers, but that was about it. I don't recall road bikes. Most of the roads wouldn't be conducive to road bikes anyway. It does appear that some people use bikes in Reykjavik but to what extent I don't know.

But here's the good news for Shad Rides. I ended last year under 150 lbs (actually, somewhere around 148). Had someone suggested to me a year ago that, by the end of the year, I would have lost upwards of 25 lbs (and kept it off), I wouldn't have believed it. Such a thing was inconceivable just a year ago. And yet 12 months later, here I am - easing into the off season (and getting through the holiday feasting & drinking) without porking out too seriously.

Riding goals for 2014? I'd like to match the number of rides of 2013 (100), and would like to exceed my total mileage (yet to be tabulated for last year).

The D2R2 marks a mid-year plateau. This year's edition is scheduled for August 23 and I'm already registered for the 180K.

Beyond that, my goals are simply to stay healthy, keep the gluttony in check, keep the weight off, and ride as much as possible.

A shout-out to the Mighty Scrod in Frankfurt - may you heal well and swiftly, mon ami! Looking forward to sharing the cycling love with you in 2014.

And to the Virginian aka Benzoid, the Benster, Nut, he of the 4,000+ mile season, looking forward to much climbing with you, mon, not to mention the D2R2. Allez!

May we all have a prolific year in the saddle.

Another Road to Ride, Hella, Iceland, December 28, 2013

1 comment:

  1. Aiiiiiiiyeeee! Mighty Shad! What a photo! Many joyeaux tours to you in 2014! Wish I could have been that stuffed salmon on the wall in the hotel watching you guys RING in the new year! Icelandic style! They have a successful fisheries policy up there I hear - could it be that the Gadiform is happy within their territorial waters? R2D2 Aug 28 ... hmmmm. Scrodicus

    ReplyDelete