Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Last Climb up Mt. Wachusett for this Year

Summit of Mt. Wachusett, Nov. 11, 2013
Sharp, clear, cold. Veteran's Day morning, on the bike by 9:30. The weather report had indicated a sunny morning and a cloudy afternoon so it behooved me to get out early. Surprisingly mild at that early hour, low 50s. Still, I didn't take chances and stuffed a paper grocery bag between my layers. Seems a simple thing but it works remarkably well.

Destination? The summit of Mt. Wachusett. Very likely the last time this year. It used to be that I'd make the climb once, maybe twice a season. This year has been different. Once I pared away 10 lbs, then 15 lbs, then 20 lbs, climbing Wachusett became less of an epic struggle and more of a routine ride, albeit still a solid work out. In fact, the climbing required just to get to the base of the mountain is, arguably, more difficult than the actual road up from the park headquarters. At least the road to the summit is varied; there are even a few sections that level off or slope downward briefly. Getting to the mountain, though, is nearly all climbing ... and it starts even in the first neighborhood getting out of town.

It's been a great few days with plenty of riding and a surfeit of fine food at journey's end. The only dark cloud has been the news of the Scrod's crash in Frankfurt. The first-you're-alright-and-then-you're-crashing reality of cycling weighs a bit more heavily today; I try to be Zen-like mindful, though it's difficult. Like meditating, I always have to bring myself back to a place of focus; I have to consciously bring myself back to the moment in order to be IN the moment. Daydreaming while riding is desperately dangerous.

Shad Rides Near the Summit
But I made it to the top without incident, then whizzed back down (grateful for the paper bag in my jersey). The sky remained blue and the sun remained shining ... but I didn't see another cyclist.

Summit, with Berries and My Ride
Ride Stats: Ride #87. 27 miles (43 km), 13 mph, 2 hours 4 minutes in the saddle, approximately 9:30 am to 11:30 am. Mid 50s temperature.




No comments:

Post a Comment