Saturday, May 16, 2015

Four Days in a Week: May 11- May 16

It's been quite a week. Perfect weather, four rides, the reverence of motion and the meditation of spin.

Steal Your Dubstoevsky

Today, for example. A slightly humid but overcast Saturday, dull sun glare filtering through the grayish blanket. Almost 70 degrees, but still cool, the perfect temperature. All afternoon available. Opt for a dash to Princeton, a revisit to Mason Rd, to River Rd. in Holden, and an exploration of Ball Hill Rd, Jefferson Rd, & Princeton Rd. (never ridden upon before today), beautiful pastorals, the rural Idyll.


Jefferson Rd and the beginning of
a run of hoary maples lining the way

I almost didn't ride today, was up late last night, questioned my motivation when the time came, then saddled up and rode BIG.

I am concentrating on my pedaling these days, trying to be more uniform, more aware of the muscle groups being put to the test, trying to sync the Whole Stroke into a continuous 360 rotation of power. I can't maintain it for an entire ride but I can turn it on as need be.

Take Monday night. I rode with the Barney's crew again. This time I acquitted myself much better than two weeks prior. This time I hung with the fast group. In fact, I engaged in great duels along the way, heart-pumping, spirited racing, the rush to stay attached, then to climb ahead, to force the pace, to FLY. The usual route, but I averaged 16+ mph, a reputable speed given the terrain.

On Tuesday I rode again, and Thursday yet again. Honest 20+ mile rambles, solo afternoons. Beautiful stretches of empty roads, forest on both sides, sun-dappled tarmac, cars few and far between. There's been no rain for weeks but the foliage persists in its lime green emergence and the landscape is abloom and awash in the Freshness. New growth. New England landscape glory, the rolling terrain, the stone walls, the hardwoods.


Lemony burst of South Rd

Spring Shad, South Rd
May 12, 2015

South Rd, and the New England moment

Today, I discovered new roads. Went back to Mason Rd then up the long climb to Princeton center but instead of dropping back south on rt. 31 I headed west on rt. 62 until I came to Ball Hill Rd, which I turned left onto, and then enjoyed a glorious stretch of empty rural wonder. In fact, for many miles at a time this afternoon, no cars passed. Just me and the landscape and the birds - red-wing blackbirds, robins, cardinals, catbirds, doves, a cowbird, finches & sparrows unidentified.

And I saved a snake! So far this year, road kill has included a plump ground hog, a turtle, several chipmunks, and a gangley heron. Today, I almost ran over a tiny milk snake, I'm surprised I even saw it but I did as I flashed passed, so I turned around to see if it really was alive. It was, and I herded it off the warm tarmac and into the dull leaf mass shoulder, to safety.


Herding the milk snake

The snake lives!

To safety

The beauty of today's ride was its meander, its newness, its length. 43 miles. Put me over 100 miles on the week, certainly the most prolific six day run I've had since last autumn, 2014. And I feel pretty good, like I'm just coming into form. In fact, by the end of the week, I'd dropped more than five lbs, I dipped below 154 lbs for the first time this year. That's still four lbs above optimum riding weight but it's not yet June. I am on pace for being in peak condition for the D2R2.


Tarmac shadow splash

Of course, of four rides, two climbed up to Bancroft Tower, the long, grinding slog to its base a rite of getting-out-of-town passage now.


May 12, 2015

May 16, 2015

Summary: A week of perfect weather, four rides: 16.4 (Barney's group ride, Monday), 20.5 (Tuesday), 23.6 (Thursday), 43.1 today (Saturday, May 16th). With the super niceness.

Parting Shots


Northern end of Holden Reservoir
May 14, 2015

Spring! May 16, 2015

Way the fuck out there

And if anyone has the inclination, listen to The Eleven from July 7, 1969.



1 comment:

  1. Buahhhhhhhhh ... you veloist of the utterness. fantastique the photos and impressions from lost NE backroads. and the 11 from 1969! I listened recently to a Jerry GArcia interview - it goes on forever, talking about the acid tests and the interaction among the players. wonderful, he's eloquent and coherent and very interesting. i think sometimes that it's his guitar that we hear primarily, and the drums, the organ and bass and rhythm guitar in the background by and large. take him away and what do you have? Scrod

    ReplyDelete