Monday, September 15, 2014

Barney's Crew: Ride # 74

The Monday night ride from Barney's Bikes. Second time. George is here again, though we lost him last week. Tonight I ask him about his accent. Turns out that it is Ukrainian. Before we get underway, I meet another guy, Jorge from Cartagena, Colombia. It's an international group.

Like last week, someone mentions the Gear Works rides out of Lemonstar, rides I never went on. I explain that I'm generally not a group ride cyclist, that I mostly ride alone, but that because I've moved to this new place, Woo City, I'm branching out and exploring the group ride scene.

<Aside: "...exploring the group ride scene" sounds vaguely salacious.>

A great night. Crisp and cool. I wear a long sleeve Under Armour top under the yellow Mont Ventoux jersey that Scrod sent to me. It's that cool. There were 15 of us more or less. Some guys are definitely overdressed; others, under dressed. But I nailed it. Warm but never sweaty. Comfortable. Autumn riding.

And yes, it's true; you can really cruise in a group. I'm getting more comfortable with the dynamics of it all. For example, I'm not used to the arrogance of the peloton. Being predominantly a solo rider, I am always subservient to cars; I grant them all the power. In a group of 15 cyclists cruising along at 20 mph it's a whole different story. The power of the peloton renders individual anxiety about moving over and letting the car go by unnecessary. We form a power block on the road and any "single rider" trepidation I harbor gets flushed away by the brash and unshrinking certainty of the group. We fly forward. And I more than keep up. I ride strong and surge past several riders on the climbs.

But it's not a testosterone fest or a competition in any way. It strikes me as guys just airing it out, pushing themselves and, by extension, pushing the group. That's how it works, I'm learning.


Almost back to Shad HQ
The gloaming at the intersection of Highland and Park
September 15, 2014

Note: 36 years ago today the Grateful Dead played the second of three shows at the Great Pyramids at Giza, Egypt. Such an event is unimaginable today. Listen in particular to the opening cut, Ollin Arageed, it's some fine traditional jamming.

Ride Summary: 16.4 miles, 17.3 mph. That's getting it done. Strava Style.

1 comment:

  1. Allez! Shadisto, wonderful to hear you're hooking up already in your new home. Sounds like a good way to make friends, not much time though left before it's very dark at 6 for a ride. Nice to hear that you got the Ventoux jersey out - darn I didn't send you the one with red dots, King of the Mountain! you meister-climber! Whatever you wear you be looking totally sharp.
    Thanks for the awsome Dead link!

    SCRODITROID

    ReplyDelete