Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Ride # 29: Gutter Style

April 1, 2014, 3:30, almost 60 degrees

It was hard to know what to wear today, how many layers, how heavy the top cover. The sun was bright, the day clear, the thermometer read 59.6 F (15C) as I yipped over my garb. I found it difficult to trust the warmth, like it was a false promise, maybe even an April Fools joke. So I donned what I vaguely thought would be too much but what turned out to be just fine and I was right, there was a chill in the air still, especially in the hills.

Destination? Mont Vonchusett to see the edge of the snow cap and find out much there was yet to melt. Getting there meant climbing. Of course the hill roads are heavily sanded throughout the winter and all the sand is still on the surface, except to the sides of some where the snow melt run-off has washed the tarmac clean. At one point today, on Gregory Corso Rd, I deliberately rode in the run-off stream so I could get out of the saddle and not worry about my back tire spinning out.

Today's ride took me past a farm that I enjoy seeing. Of particular interest is the gutter that runs alongside the road and a stone wall. I point this out because at this time of year it is, like most New England roadsides, wretched with winter sand and dun debris. However, I will return to this farm and this gutter in late June and in July and the "gutter" will have been transformed into a flower garden of great charm and color.


Early Spring Gutter

After a little more than an hour, I arrived at the Mont Vonchusett state park and headed up the summit road. I didn't get far. There's still plenty of snow cover, enough to last another month or so. No summit ventures until I'm riding in shorts, I think. Riding in shorts. What a concept!


Dubstoevsky has just spotted a snow leopard

Ride Summary: 31.49 miles (49 K), over two hours (13.6 mph). Plenty of cawing crows, flocks of robins, a surfeit of some kind of sparrows. Still used a paper bag inside my jersey as a windshield. Was glad to have it today, despite the sun and quasi-warmth.

Parting Shot

Springtime in New England

No comments:

Post a Comment