Monday, December 16, 2013

Two Shy of 100

A dusting of snow earlier in the week foretold the likely end to riding this calendar year, and then a fairly serious snowstorm Saturday night, December 14th made it a certainty.

Sunday Morning Out My Front Door
Lemonstar, December 15, 2013

I won't manage to notch 100 rides in 2013 but that's okay. It's been a triumphant year in many ways not least of which is having learned how to lose weight and curtail my gluttonous maw. I'm ending the year 20 pounds lighter than I began it last January. This bodes well for 2014.

The key for the next couple months is to maintain focus & discipline. I want to be ready to go as soon as I can safely ride the roads again. There will surely be spotty opportunities in January or February, there almost always are each year. Yes, one year we had almost no snow and I was riding in bunches in January. Other years, when there's heavy snowfall, consistent riding may not happen until April. But there always seems to be one or two days in the winter months where the snow has melted back enough and the roads are no longer icy at the edges and it's reasonably safe to ride. But a couple rides scattered across 60-90 days doesn't cut it in terms of keeping in shape.

Life is a roll of the dice and weather is impersonal. The goal is to control one's own debauch through the cold, dark months and then emerge on the other side, in the spring, with enthusiasm and energy for the road.


2 comments:

  1. Control that debauch El Dub!! You meister rider, what a year! 20 lbs lighter, I reckon a 3000 mile year? You were averaging 20-30 miles per ride plus the odd extended tour times 100 = 3000? Across the states, California here I come! I bet you did more.

    I was a little too active yesterday, shopping, walking longer distances without crutches like 20 ft instead of 5. Today the leg is sore, taking it easy on the sofa. Allez! Wishing you and Madame the happiest of holidays, El Scrodito

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scrodito, amigo. Just checked both computers. I logged 729 miles on the Crust, and 1,212 miles on the road bike. I know I did more road riding, though, as my computer was broken for some of the earlier rides in May and June. But there's no way I managed 3,000 miles - probably more around 2200 or so.

    Happy holidays to you and the family! Take it easy on that leg, monsieur. No setbacks, please. Steady recovery leading up to a moderate return to riding. I want you bouncing around on two firm legs when you come for the wedding bash in June.

    ReplyDelete